Thursday, May 3, 2012

Happy Thursday!

I wanted to chat a little about what it means to start a business concept and all of the fun and creative steps involved with branding your business. I tend to be the kind of chick that dives into her imagination head first; every idea that pops into my head, I make a personal challenge to manifest it. I think it has to do with being a Gemini. We're a creative sign...and actually known for entrepreneurial aspirations. By degree, I'm a graphic designer. This formal training in concept, design and execution helps me guide my ideas in a methodical way; as opposed to the "all over the place" kinda girl I really am. Again, a Gemini thing...

A business concept is so exciting. It's the opportunity for you, as a creative, to bring your work and your passion into the world. I like to think of what I do as an offering, a gift of sorts, of my imagination. That's a pretty big deal. Creatives are an open minded, free spirited group of people. In addition to the plethora of other reasons, we love to bring happiness and joy to others through our work. That too, is a pretty big deal. Hence, your branding should be a pretty big deal.

I like to keep in mind that how you brand your business is the story that you're telling the world about yourself. Heck, if I'm telling a story about myself, you better be darn sure, that it isn't going to be boring. ;)

Check out this link from the Etsy blog that discusses the key points on branding, how you can accomplish it, and why it's so important.

http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2012/building-your-brand/


With Woo Woo Workshop, I wanted to convey the simplicity, natural and yet playful aspect of our pet id tags and the customers behind them! Dogs, cats, rabbits, ferrets...heck, anything that wears a collar can sport one of our tags, so the brand had to be a general image that covered all the possible basis of what a pet is to everyone. Since we use metals such as copper, nickel silver, brass and aluminum we wanted a natural color palette that didn't "fight" with the images of the products in the shop.

So, yesterday I created the business cards for Woo Woo Workshop and here they are! I created them using photoshop, an x-acto blade, a glue stick, and some decorative paper. Design, print, glue the decorative paper to the back, cut and voila - cute, unique, inexpensive business cards that people won't throw away! :)


Let us know your branding tips in the comments, share your links to your shops, websites or images that tell your story!

Hope these tips were helpful!

xo
Melissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment